Is there ever a time of year that brings more hustle and stress than the Christmas holidays? You strive to find time to shop, cook, bake, host, wrap, visit, carol, decorate… The list is endless.
With a thousand things on your mind at one time, it is easy to forget the little things that can lead to disaster during the holidays, but if you stay in the moment and take a few extra minutes, you can protect your home and your property this season.
Here are our 5 top tips to help you keep your holidays merry:
1. Out of Sight: Sometimes the lure of wrapped and unwrapped presents is just too much for a thief to resist; however if you are placing those gifts in plain sight of a window, you are inviting them in. Keep presents out of site from windows for as long as you can. Consider placing your tree in a room that is not easily viewed from the street.
2. Car Safety: As we battle the crowds we come across in shops and malls, we might not all be as focused as we should be. Make sure you are aware of your surroundings at all times, especially if you are walking through a dark parking lot, loaded down with bags. When possible, walk with another person for protection.
3. Protect Your Investments: A thief wants to get in and out of your car as quickly as possible. Your job is to ensure that you are not giving them a reason to break in to your car at all. Place shopping bags out of site when you will be leaving your car for any length of time. Take away the temptation.
4. Up in Flames: There’s nothing like the smell of a fresh pine tree to get you in the holiday spirit; but while that tree is beautiful, if not protected, it could be the cause of so much damage. Keep your tree away from any source of heat and remember to turn off all those colourful lights when you are leaving the house, or at bedtime. One small spark could change your holiday plans.
5. Update Your Insurance: Take time to make sure you are covered for potential holiday disasters. Call your insurance partner and talk about the various scenarios that might apply to you. While talking with your agent, let them know of any new valuable items that you’ve brought into the home so that they may be protected through your home insurance policy.
Don’t be left out in the cold this holiday.
Call us at 248-817-8071 … no commitment required to call, just an informational chat!