Good news for parents and bad news for kids: school is back in session! As everyone gears up for the upcoming educational year, E&Y Insurance Agency has a few helpful suggestions when it comes to transportation and safety. Many parents lead busy lives and rely on carpooling or bus transportation to make sure their children are making it to class on time. Here are a few things to consider to ensure that everyone arrives to school safe and secure.
Children who ride the bus often lead to parents who are rushing them out of the door to make it to their stop on time. E&Y Insurance Agency suggests that all children should be ready for the bus 5-10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick up time. Remind your children to be mindful of where they are waiting on the street, and that they give the bus enough room to stop without injuring themselves. Students should always wait for the bus to come to a complete stop, look both ways, and be listening to any bus driver suggestions, before getting onto their ride.
Likewise, if you’re a driver on the road, there are few things to keep in mind when maneuvering the streets with school busses. Here are a few signs to remember when busses are stopped and boarding:
- Flashing red lights with a stop sign – YOU MUST STOP if you encounter a bus at this time, if you are on a two-lane or one-way road. The only time you can pass the bus is if you are on a multi-lane road, and are traveling in the opposite direction.
- Railroad Crossings – Be aware that busses must stop before going over the tracks, so slow down if you are behind a bus at this time.
Carpooling is becoming a more popular means of transportation for busy families that need to get their children to school. If you are fortunate enough to participate in a carpool, here are a few suggestions to making sure things run safely and smoothly:
- Keep things organized – Talk with all parents to make sure schedules are clearly underlined and understood.
- Inform everyone of emergency contacts – Just like a babysitter, someone who is transporting your children should be aware of who to contact in case of an emergency.
- Be on time – If you are the designated driver for the day, make sure you have plenty of time allotted in case of traffic or children emergencies that may occur along the way. Likewise, make sure your children are ready with plenty of time, before their carpool arrives.
- Educate your children on car safety – Make sure your children know that they should always buckle their seat belts, be mindful of other people in the car, and know who they should be traveling with.
For more suggestions on school transportation, call E&Y Insurance Agency today! (248) 362-1313