Just because you NEED auto insurance, doesn’t mean you have to settle for the first quote you receive. Planning ahead will give you time do your research, ask the right questions and find the auto insurance that is right for you.
Here’s what we recommend asking before you say “Yes” to your auto insurance provider:
- What coverage does my State mandate? Each State mandates various levels of auto insurance. Your insurance broker/provider should be able to confidently share that information with you to ensure you have the coverage you need for where you live. Make sure you know the difference between what is mandated and what is recommended. Not all coverage options may fit you.
- What is your recommendation for my deductible? Your insurance provider should offer various deductible amounts (i.e. $1,000 or $500), which will affect your premium. The higher the deductible, the lower the premium. Before you sign, make sure you can actually afford the deductible you have selected.
- Collision & Comprehensive… do I need both? This is a good question to ask if the care you are insuring is older. While collision coverage pays for repairs to your vehicle in a crash, comprehensive insurance will cover other types of damage such as vandalism, fire, or theft. Talk with your insurance provider about the pros and cons to these types of coverage. They should be able to direct you to the type of coverage that makes sense.
- Who can drive on the policy? Will that impact the rate? Do you have other drivers in your home that could be driving your car? How about a friend that often will borrow your car? Be honest with your insurance provider and ask how these “other” drivers will impact your insurance. If someone is an infrequent driver, they might be listed as an “occasional” driver.
- Am I covered for Rental Cars and for how much? Are you an avid traveller – either for pleasure or work? Make sure you are covered for Rental Cars, and ask if there are any restrictions to those rentals… i.e. type of car, location, mileage, etc…
- If you haven’t yet bought your new car, ask how your choice might affect your policy. Not all cars are created equal and not all policies offer the same premiums for every car. Do your due diligence before you buy to understand how your choice of car can impact your policy.
- Payment policy. Ask how you can pay your premiums… monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annually? There should be a payment plan to meet your needs, not the other way around. Ask about how you will be expected to pay.
- How easy is it to make a claim? What is the process? An accident or incident can be an extremely stressful time for you. Ask the questions you need ti know in case of an accident now. The last thing you want to deal with is an overwhelming process to make a claim. Make sure you find out how you make a claim and get a sense of how you will be treated.
- Will my policy cover original parts? Some insurance policies will allow used replacement parts to be used in any repairs. Ask if you are covered for original parts.
- Do I qualify for a discount? You may qualify for a lower rate for any number of factors, including our age, length of time driving and your driving record, additional driver training, how far you drive, if you have an anti-theft device, if you’re insuring more than one vehicle, or if you have other policies with the insurer. Important to note… they will not usually offer these discounts, you have to ask.
When you ask these questions, you are one step closer to a policy that meets your needs. Remember… ask these questions each and every year, even if staying with the same insurance provider. The answers might change and you can never assume!
About E&Y Agency and Auto Insurance
E&Y Insurance Agents are dedicated to giving our clients insurance products that provide quality protection and value pricing. Our goal is to establish a successful partnership with our clients, our staff members, and our insurance companies. Our success is measured by our clients choosing us because they believe in our ability to meet or exceed their expectations of price, service, and expertise. Call us now at 248-671-6558to talk about your insurance needs!